Newport Public Library
Virtual Bike4Books Bicycle Tour!
September through November 2020
Over the past 20 years Newport Public Library’s annual bicycle tour has been a popular opportunity for recreation, food, and much needed support for a great community resource. We are saddened that we cannot hold our traditional fundraiser gathering as usual this year, but we instead will continue the Bike4Books tradition with twist- a fun-raiser during the months of September through November 2020. We expect to host our regular Bike4Books traditional tour next year on Sat., Sept. 25, 2021.
Here is how the 2020 event will happen:
- Decide if you want to ride or walk.
- Download one of our course maps below, or follow one of your favorite routes, wherever that may take you. Anywhere on planet Earth will do just fine.
- Choose a glorious fall day to ride or walk, anytime between Sept. 1 and Nov. 30. Grab your water bottle, a few snacks, your helmet, and your cellphone. If you are doing one of our Perry County routes, you will enjoy scenic rural roads, fresh air, little traffic, Amish farms, covered bridges, and the great outdoors. Please obey the rules of the road, and share the road with all traffic, whether on foot, on wheels, or horse and buggy.
- Post photos and comments on the NPL Bike4Books Tour facebook page or email to Bike4Books@gmail.com. We are excited to see where your ride takes you!
- If you feel inclined to make a donation to help support Newport Public Library, please mail to Newport Public Library, 316 N 4th St Newport PA 17074, email email@example.com to request a call to use a credit card over the phone, or use Paypal. Donors will be listed at the end of this page unless anonymity is requested.
Little Buffalo State Park Information
1579 State Park Road, Newport Pa 17074 Photo credits John Blymier, 2019
We have a local course for everyone!
Download and print cue sheets here:
Links to Map My Ride:
Want to Walk or Hike Instead?
Perry county has many new historical markers. For a map of the route where you can tour Newport Borough on foot to see all the town’s markers, click here. There is also a great network of trails at Little Buffalo State Park, or walk one of our bicycle routes for a longer trek. For specific hiking details within Little Buffalo State Park, visit http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/littlebuffalo/#hiking . If you are participating from out of town or out of state, send us a selfie with your favorite marker, attraction, or natural wonder.
All proceeds from every Bike4Books Tour directly benefit Newport Public Library:
- Books and magazines for children & adults
- Audio books and downloadable audiobooks
- DVDs and music CDs
- Programs of interest for children & adults
- Free wireless Internet access 24/7
- Public computers
- Meeting rooms for public use
- B&W & color printing, copying & scanning
- FAX service
- Cold lamination
- Interlibrary loans
- Reference service
The Board and staff of NPL extend heartfelt thanks to all of our donors, volunteers, and sponsoring businesses who continue to help keep the library doors open for everyone, especially in these uncertain economic times!
We cordially invite you to spend some time in Newport. Discover our unique shops, including the Perry County Council of the Arts gallery in the Newport square. Discover Newport history by reading the many historical markers around town. Grab something to eat at our local restaurants or farmer’s market. The following businesses always donate food items for the free lunch after the traditional Bike4Books ride every year. Please consider supporting businesses that support our local library!
Espresso Yourself Cafe (Gourmet- Organic- Fair trade Homemade goodness!)
8 S. 2nd St., Newport PA
Sharar’s Grocery (The local deli!)
19 S. 2nd St. Newport PA
Butcher’s Farm Market (Locally grown, and locally baked!)
590 N. 4th St. Newport PA
Directions to Little Buffalo State Park:
1579 State Park Road Newport PA 17074
FROM HARRISBURG: 22/322 W to Newport Exit (Rte. 34 S), Left off exit to Newport, follow signs to Little Buffalo State Park.
FROM LEWISTOWN: 22/322 E to Newport Exit (Rte. 34 S) Right off exit to Newport, follow signs to Little Buffalo State Park.
FROM CARLISLE: Rte. 34 N into New Bloomfield, Left at square, follow signs to Little Buffalo State Park.
Thank you for supporting our community library!
Sante De Michiel
Peter & Deborah Vitins
Many thanks to this year’s sponsors:
Incarnation United Church of Christ